Friday, March 4, 2011

HTRAP: CH 5

This chapter addressed the concern that criticism is merely subjective. I found this particularly helpful, because I have a tendency to think of criticism in this light. When looking into the tone or mood of a poem, there are so many different interpretations with one could walk away. It is interesting how only a few ways to look into a poem can be formalized. Though this chapter came down to one sentence in the mark that it left on me. “we may note to begin with that being able to disagree over an issue does not necessarily imply pure subjectivism.” People can dispute over whether someone is ‘waving or drowning,’ this is not subjective though just because there is not a single universal call for the person that is drowning to follow. That is the analogy that Eagleton used and it really helped put things into perspective. Another point, I have not given much though until not, is that the title is part of the poem!! Also, it was helpful how Eagleton went through how and why different people perceive different tones or moods within the same poem. Even after reading this chapter I still think it is a challenge to understand the intensity and pace except through punctuation. I guess after reading this chapter, I really would try to look closer at the line breaks in addition to punctuation Furthermore it is helpful to consider such use of literary techniques like enjambment for pace. Though my favorite part of this book so far was reading e. e. cummings’s poem and discussing Punctuation! I love how much punctuation can do for a poem, or how much the lack of punctuation can offer to a poem! Sometimes punctuation can clarify pace, emotion, etc. Also the lack of punctuation could add a sense of delicateness and gentleness to the tone, such as in e.e. cummings’s piece. Overall Chapter 5, has been my favorite chapter in HTRAP, and one that I plan to reference throughout the rest of the semester and…perhaps life.

No comments: