Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thoughts on One Art

Walking back from class today, I kept thinking about the poem One Art, which we discussed at the beginning of class. Outside of the classroom, I was able to take a step back and consider the poem from a new perspective. When I reread it, I started to wonder if perhaps whoever is writing the poem has been choosing to lose the items mentioned in the poem (this would require in some instances the idea of the items as symbolic). I started to think of some one who perhaps gave up all of the comforts of life for her art or her goals. I think that the tone could coincide with this idea - the sort of forced, carefree nature. I was looking at it as of the speaker was an artist. It is supported by the mentions of isolation, which could be considered to be self imposed isolation rather than a literal loss of community. It also is supported by the mentions of financial loss and loss of comfort.

Then, at the end it could be argued that whoever the person who was ‘lost’ is someone who fell by the wayside in the speakers search for success or vision, or whatever the unmentioned goal may be.

It’s out there, but I do think the support is present in the poem to make this a viable interpretation.

1 comment:

Kelly Johnson said...

Wow! After class, this poem all made sense to me...or so I thought. I really can see how this perfectionist person puts herself through pain and forced herself to lose things to get to her goal. perhaps she did lose that person as a result of her attempts at gains. Regardless, it is nice to think about the poem in a new way, so thank you! :)